Choosing the right lawyer is a key decision where many factors come into play. Here’s what you need to keep in mind.
How to Know if a Lawyer is Good for You
Regardless of the type of legal case, a good relationship between lawyer and client is essential. Below are some guidelines to help you find a lawyer that is right for you.
- Interview a lawyer before hiring them. Speak to at least two lawyers and try to get a sense of their background and communication style. If you can’t interview them yourself, ask someone you trust to do it for you.
- Pay attention to the details. As in many other things in life, successful representation often depends on small details. For example, for bilingual clients, hiring a lawyer who speaks the same languages as they do can greatly improve communication.
- Inquire about their experience. Ideally, your lawyer should have previous experience with cases similar to yours. Law can be complex, and having on your side a lawyer who is aware of all possible pitfalls can make a big difference.
- Ask yourself if you are personally comfortable with a prospective lawyer. Interpersonal chemistry plays an important role in the attorney-client relationship. After all, a lawyer will be speaking on your behalf, so it’s essential that you trust them and your communication styles are compatible.
- Watch out for red flags. Just like in any other relationship, you should look out for signs that usually indicate that a certain lawyer may not be the ideal choice to represent you. For example, you should be wary of lawyers who refuse to discuss their experience. Also, a good lawyer will never guarantee a positive outcome. While hearing that may be reassuring, you should keep in mind that not even the most experienced, reputable lawyers extend guarantees to their clients.
At the Rivas Law Group, We Are Focused on You
Need help with a Plain View Doctrine case? At Law Rivas Group, we offer a wide variety of professional and efficient services that go from preliminary legal advice to litigation and civil law for both corporate and private clients.
We are located at 3800 Orange Street Suite 150, Riverside, California. Contact us today by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone (951-715-4695), or through our online form to learn more about our services. Hablamos español.